Friday, January 9, 2009

Entering the 21st Century

Okay, so here I am in my living room thinking back to when I was a kid. Here are the things we didn't have then that are so common today thank to our entry in to the "Information Age":
* We didn't have microwave ovens
* We didn't have personal computers of any sort
* We didn't have CDs (compact discs). In fact, we didn't even have cassettes. We were still doing LPs and 8-Tracks!
* Did we even have central heat and air? Maybe you did, but not mi familia!
* We didn't have cordless phone or cell phones.
* The only channels we got were the ones we could pick up from the antenna poking out the top of our roof, and even then you either had to make some choices about what channel you wanted to watch or be willing to go up on the roof and turn the antenna to focus on another channel.

So now, here I am as a man who just turned forty-eight years young, and so much has changed. Our two children do not know what it's like to not have a computer in the house! By the way, there was a time when personal computers did not have access to the internet. Can you kids believe that?

Well, our teeneage daughter LIVES on Facebook. She does not know that you can actually talk on a cell phone. She just TEXTS! Hey, I have a great idea--Why don't we name those machines "text books!" But then they'll have to rename those big honkin' things that the school gives out to students and tells them to read.

Okay, back to me trying to break into our current century ten years late... My daughter has all these different ways of communicating than what I am used to or know anything about. I can see that she and I are growing farther apart because "Dad just doesn't get it." But then, I began to hear of others my age (give or take a decade or so) who are getting into this stuff as well. They tell me of some of the benefits of blogging and facebooking and yada yada yada.

So now here I am, trying to learn how to blog. I've already set up my Facebook account. Aren't you proud of me? But what I would like to see from my blog thing is some kind of forum where those involved in marriage and family ministry can dialogue with each other about those topics. I would like for this to be a place where we can open issues, ask questions, share advice or ideas, etc. But especially, I want to honor my Lord and my God in this format.

If you are invloved in marriage and family ministry, or you would like to be, or you just want some more information, let's get this party started!

No comments:

Post a Comment